hits counter

Do You Think PageRank Could Be Kaput?

September 25, 2007

It’s now become widespead speculation of many bloggers that PageRank is no more. Other bloggers think that Google could possibly be just updating their algorithm and that is why this update is so belated. Who knows? But now that PageRank is five months overdue, the longest period inbetween updates ever, people are getting worried. CashQuests has a great post titled Google Abandons PageRank that you should check out. Some valid points the author makes includes:

•  It has almost been five months since the last update, and usually PageRank updates come every two to three months.
  • Updates on the internet usually get faster with time, not slower, especially from big companies like Google.
  • Google is completely against paid links and getting rid of PageRank would help to stop the problem, since one of the biggest factors in determining link pricing is PageRank.

These are only some of the great points that CashQuests makes. So considering that Google did do out with PageRank… What would the rest of us do? Now’s the time to be thinking about it. Not only companies like TextLinkAds and PayPerPost will suffer, but so will all bloggers monetizing their sites. As mentioned above, a site’s PageRank is one of the biggest factors in determining text link advertisement sales.

It’s time to start thinking about how else you could monetize your blog, especially if you rely on PageRank to get more money with your advertising. There are so many other reliable ways to prove your blog is a great one for sponsors to advertise on. Your RSS subscriber count is a fantastic way. In my opinion, it could be a lot better than PageRank. PageRank counts your number of incoming links, but RSS subscribers are for real. That count displays how many loyal visitors you have that read your content every single day. Advertisers would surely be interested in those numbers.

Besides your RSS subscribers, consider how many unique visitors and pageviews you get daily. Take screenshots of the graphs of your statistics and place them on your advertising page. Any future sponsors would love to know the traffic you’re receiving! If you have a good, low Alexa number then display that too – but if you don’t, that’s okay. Alexa is not the most reliable source of information as their data isn’t tracked equally for everyone.

If PageRank is kaput, another way to lure advertisers in is to have testimonials from past sponsors who have really enjoy and benefited from advertising on your site. This way new advertisers will know that their money will be worth it.

Hopefully from reading above you’ve figured out ways to earn more money on your blog based on factors besides PageRank. No one knows for sure yet except those dastardly people behind Google itself, but it’s always best to be prepared for the worst in case PageRank won’t exist any longer.

PageRank being done with is a very logical assumption, even if it’s one most of us would hate. Without PageRank, the majority of bloggers and webmasters would go into a chaotic state. So what do you think? Is PageRank over, or is Google just changing their algorithm and system to base it on other factors besides links? Please share your opinions, and let us know what you would do if Google said PageRank was dead.

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

Comments

11 Responses to “Do You Think PageRank Could Be Kaput?”

1. Snoskred on September 25th, 2007 5:56 am

I wonder if Google are aware of the resentment they are creating out there in the blogosphere by delaying this update so much – and possibly never updating it again? I know some bloggers are absolutely furious about it. Me, I simply decided to try and let the frustration go. It’s just not fair to people who have been working really hard.

They are costing some bloggers and webmasters a LOT of money and I would not be surprised if a class action got launched if it turns out they have decided to do away with it – because if they’re doing away with it then it should be removed from everyone, otherwise it is not fair.. In fact I’d probably find myself putting my hand up to take part, if someone did launch one.

I used to have a page rank of 4 on my old blogspot blog, but then I decided to go to my own domain. If I had known there was a possibility of such a long delay and potentially never another update, I might have reconsidered it. If they had decided to do away with page rank they should have let people know long ago – then some of us may have made different decisions.

I just try not to think about it too much because when I do I get really angry at Google. :(

Snoskred

2. google blogger on September 25th, 2007 7:14 am

One good thing about pagerank being kaput is that little kids have something to cry about. And even if you call me sadistic, that’s the truth. Personally haven’t looked at that whenever I wanted to buy a link (because it’s easy to fake the little green bar). I always checked the number of backlinks in google.
    If someone intends to buy a link on one of my sites and lowers the price just because the little google pr bar is too small :) I don’t even talk to them either because they are too stupid to realize what real value has that bar or, they are playing smart and they want to outsmart me.
    So, from my point of view, Bye Bye, little green bar.

3. Jayne on September 25th, 2007 7:26 am

>> As mentioned above, a site’s PageRank is one of the biggest factors in determining text link advertisement sales.

But rather than those businesses necessarily suffering, they’d just have to come up with another method of determining the value of a link.

If PR goes away, people will grouse, but we’ll adapt and move on.

4. 45n5 on September 25th, 2007 8:34 am

I don’t think google owes anybody a pagerank update anytime soon. I can’t find anywhere in their docs where they say it will update at any given time.

I don’t think pagerank is going away.

5. Steven Snell on September 25th, 2007 9:39 pm

I think it’s possible that PR could be dead, but I wonder why Google wouldn’t have announced it. I don’t sell ads on my blog (at least not at the moment), so PR really has no use to me anyway.

6. Tay on September 26th, 2007 1:15 am

@Snoskred – I agree with you! I had a Blogspot blog too, and it had PageRank, but in the very end of May I switched to my own domain without PageRank. I don’t regret the switch at all because it has more pros than just the con of lost PageRank, but…

You’re right. It’s not fair. Some bloggers have already had PageRank and get to keep making good money off of it, while those of us who missed the last update have been working really hard and now deserving our rankings, too. I’ll be a seriously angry person if PageRank is done away with it, but what can we do?

What we CAN do is start working on building up all other levels such as traffic, search engine optimization, blog promotion, generating backlinks, and more. If we can’t do anything about our PageRank at the moment, then we might as well succeed in all the other categories! ;)

@Google Blogger – I can understand your point of view but don’t agree with it completely. Yes, you can fake the green PageRank bar by putting a false image on your site, but if you have the toolbar you can figure out if it’s the truth or not. Also, it’s not fair for so many newer bloggers, or those that have switched domains. We’ve been working hard! I have different views on the subject but all in all, I would hate to see PageRank go.

@Jayne – Right you are! I WOULD like to keep PageRank, as it makes advertising a lot easier and helps determine prices well. But there are other measures we could use, like incoming traffic amounts, RSS subscribers, and more. And like you said, we would adapt a new system and move on. But even so, I still vote that PageRank deserves to stay, for our sake!

@45n45 – Even if it’s not clearly written how often a PageRank update comes, every time it’s been between two and three months. And we’re already creeping past it being five months! To me it seems illogical for the update to be so erratic, but Google DOES work in mysterious ways sometimes. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see. ;)

@Steven – I don’t know whether they’d announce it or not, to be honest. Maybe they like torturing us and creating a stir, anyway. Hehe. Or, like mentioned, they could be reworking the algorithm to make it more “real” and try not to count paid links, or leverage the rankings in other ways.

7. Barry Cox - Kierland Homes on September 26th, 2007 6:47 pm

I don’t think it’s done, but maybe Google is trying to send a message that people should not focus on it so much. Which is definitely the truth.

8. Sandra - Free Cash Quest on September 27th, 2007 8:25 am

I don’t think Google Page Rank is dead at all. As you might have notice Google has given their Google Webmaster Tools a make over and if you click on statistics -> crawl stats you can see the Page Rank distribution of your pages. If Google Page Rank were really kaput I don’t think they would have included that in their statistics…

9. Tay on October 2nd, 2007 1:15 am

@Barry – That’s a possibility too. I didn’t really think that Google would want to torture us like that, though. But to be perfectly honest I’m not the type of blogger that obsesses over PageRank. When it was coming close to update time a couple of months ago, I wasn’t checking constantly to see if the toolbar had updated or anything. I decided I’d wait until another blogger wrote that the update had hit. Of course, it never did. But so many people ARE obsessed over it. I think Google would be a little crazy if that’s what the delay is all about.

@Sandra – Thanks for sharing your discoveries. I’m not currently using Google’s Webmaster Tools but that’s something I need to do anyway. You’re giving me hope, Sandra! Thank you. :)

10. Ventrilo Host on October 2nd, 2007 9:55 pm

Yea, Matt Cutts said we shouldn’t expect one anytime soon

11. Sephy's Platzish on October 4th, 2007 11:20 am

How much control does Google have over us?…

I know that, as a blogger, I am quite dependent upon Google for giving me traffic. If you were to look at my referrer logs since the start, I’d venture to guess that about 95% of all search engine tra……

Got something to say?