hits counter

Grab Flickr Creative Commons Photos Without Leaving Your Blog

February 28, 2008

Creative Commons License photo credit: muha…

I was browsing through my RSS subcriptions when I saw this post Darren wrote featuring a fantastic WordPress plugin that I knew I had to have.

“With the Photo Dropper plugin, you can now search millions of Flickr photos and add them to your WordPress posts with just 1 click, all without leaving your WordPress dashboard. Attribution links are automatically added underneath the images to comply with the Creative Commons license rules. It’s the easiest way to add photos to your blog. Period. And best of all – it’s Free!”

Considering how I always talk about why using images is important, and that I’ve written a guide on how to find and use Flickr photos, I knew this was a big one for me. Images make a blog look a lot more attractive and interesting, and they catch the visitor’s eye and make your site memorable. Since you can either steal images, pay for them, or use Creative Commons photos, I opted for the last choice. The first should never be an option, the second is expensive, but the last one is great – Flickr has thousands of amazing Creative Commons photos you can use for free, as long as credit is given.

And with the Photo Dropper plugin, you never even have to leave your dashboard to find great images – or even your ‘write a post’ page, for that matter! Once you install and activate the plugin, you can set up the options, which include how many images you see at one time and whether they’re sorted using the ‘Most Interesting’ feature or not, as well if they’re images to use on a commercial site or not. After that, all you have to do is go write your posts and the plugin will be there. You enter a keyword to look for, photos appear, and when you find one you like you can add it to your post with the click of a button.

This is so easy! To make your posts and pages beautiful with images you won’t even have to leave WordPress anymore. Take a look at the image at the top of this post, and you’ll see an example of what this plugin has done for me. With a click there’s a gorgeous photo and the credits in place. This couldn’t be any more simpler, and I definitely recommend it for all bloggers.

Click here to download the Photo Dropper WordPress plugin.

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

Comments

11 Responses to “Grab Flickr Creative Commons Photos Without Leaving Your Blog”

1. James Mann on February 28th, 2008 6:44 am

I like using images in my blog posts for my hobby sites. It’s seems pretty easy to find photos that match my content but on my make money online blog I seem to have the hardest time finding photos that work for me.I have this plugin but haven’t used it yet. I am currently using different plugin that does the same thing but it also has other places included where I can grab videos and products to sell.If this plugin starts acting strange I will install Photo Dropper and use it.One thing I noticed is at the bottom of the image there are credits. I do see that when I drop images from the plugin I am currently using.

James Mann’s last blog post..Benefits of Hiring an Affiliate Manager

2. Peg on February 28th, 2008 3:14 pm

I am eager to use this on my blog, but the instructions for installing it to WordPress were over my head. I would appreciate another brief post explaining this to folks who don’t really “get” http://FTP.  Thanks for your work. I’ve learned a lot from you.  Peg

3. Tay on February 28th, 2008 10:48 pm

@James Mann,

Yes, this niche is much harder to find images to use but there’s still always that “perfect photo” out there. Would you mind telling us which plugin you’re currently using? It sounds great as well!

@Peg,

Basically FTP is a client you can use to login to your blog’s cPanel. It makes downloading and uploading files much easier. There are many free FTP programs out there, I use FileZilla:

Here is a quick tutorial, from WordPress, on how to use FTP (it uses FileZilla as the example). It’s quite helpful:

You don’t have to use FTP to upload the Photo Dropper plugin folder to your blog, but you can also upload it directly to the appropriate spot just through your cPanel as well.

Good luck and let me know if you need anymore help!

4. SOCOM Sales on February 28th, 2008 11:49 pm

I love using Flickr Photo’s in my posts. I have only had one user complain but mostly I get emails with people thanking me for highlighting their pictures.I am going to give this plugin a try.

SOCOM Sales’s last blog post..The Emperor’s New Clothes

5. Tay on February 29th, 2008 2:51 am

@SOCOM Sales,

As long as you use photos with the proper Creative Commons license and give credit back to the photographer, you’re allowed to use those images. I wonder why a user would complain if that’s what they licensed their photo under, giving free permission for its use, with credit.

Anyway, as a fellow Flickr lover, I hope you find great use out of this plugin. I know I have so far, it’s excellent and very handy!

6. Peg Thompson on March 3rd, 2008 6:24 pm

Tay, I still need help with how to get photo-dropper into my wordpress blog. I don’t know how to find the cPanel. Can you walk me through this in itsy bitsy steps?  Thanks.  Peg

7. Tay on March 4th, 2008 4:49 am

@Peg,

Where are you hosted at? When you log in to your hosting account to access and run your site, you’re at the cPanel (most hosts run with cPanel). The cPanel is where you access everything – it has your email accounts, host statistics, backups, and your file manager. Your file manager is where you will go to upload plugins, themes, and everything that has to do with what’s on your site. Here’s a quick description of what cPanel is:

Check out the screenshot on the Wikipedia article. That would be a cPanel. You’ll see the file manager there as well, which is where you’ll want to go to upload anything and everything to site – upload files, create files, whatever. Go into the directory where WordPress is installed, go to the wp-content folder, and then the plugins folder. All you would have to do is upload the plugin there.

I’m not the most technical person and not the greatest at describing things like this – I’m not sure how to help you but I hope I’ve helped a little. If I haven’t, let me know and maybe I can point you in the direction of some articles that CAN help.

Thanks!

8. Peg Thompson on March 4th, 2008 1:54 pm

I went to the FAQ in WordPress (which is what I have) and they say they don’t allow users to add their own plug-ins. Yet I’m pretty sure some people said they had been able to do it. I just can’t figure this out, but I DO appreciate the help you’re giving me.  Peg

9. Tay on March 4th, 2008 4:55 pm

@Peg,

I’m now guessing you’re not self-hosted with WordPress. If you use WordPress.com and not WordPress.org, you can’t use this plugin. My recommendation would be getting your own domain and hosting and installing WordPress on it, and that way you can have full customization. Otherwise, it’s not a possibility. Sorry for not helping you figure this out sooner, and best of luck!

10. Peg Thompson on March 4th, 2008 7:43 pm

Tay, I figured out the same thing about the same time!. I’ve had a lot of frustration with WordPress.com and I’m going to switch. Thanks for all your patient advice!  Peg

11. Tay on March 4th, 2008 8:45 pm

You’re welcome, and I wish I could have been of more help! Best of luck with switching, and let me know if I can do anything else throughout the transition. Thanks and good luck!

Got something to say?