hits counter

The Importance of Proofreading and Writing Well

May 27, 2008

I’ve always stressed the fact that bloggers always need to proofread and edit their posts at least once or twice before they hit the publish button. You need to proofread your article’s title, its subtitles, headlines, paragraphs, and every word you’ve written. Apart from that, a blogger should make sure that all the links in their posts work and point where they should. The images and formatting should all be checked over and in place before the post even sees the light of day. However, some bloggers don’t understand this concept and think it’s no big deal if their articles contain errors.

But it is a big deal, as you can lose valuable readers and subscribers if the quality of your writing is low. For example, I was just browsing through my Google Reader subscriptions today and started to read three articles I hadn’t checked yet under one new blog I’d subscribed to. In the first article, I noticed several bad English mistakes and even a few misspelled words (and that was only in the first paragraph), which definitely wasn’t giving me a good impression. However, I continued, and noticed that all three of the posts were this way. After that, I made a mental note to unsubscribe from this blog when I got the chance.

I’m not saying that each article should be completely perfect, and I understand that everyone makes mistakes – I do all the time. But by having a professional blog, you’re putting yourself in the business of writing, so you should at least take the five to ten minutes required to reread, proofread, and correct your post of all typos before you hit that publish button. Even better, read over it yourself and then get a friend to read over it for you. A second opinion can make a huge difference, and that person can point out errors that you might not have noticed or even known were wrong. You could also get opinions on the post itself, and make sure you’re getting the point across clearly enough.

Part of being a professional and authoritative blogger is making an impact with the articles you create and with your writing, but you won’t ever be able to do that if your work is constantly full of mistakes. Instead of making a good impression and leaving people in awe, or making them think that they need to subscribe because they can’t miss anymore of your articles, you’ll be giving them the opposite reaction.

So the next time you write something, make a promise to yourself and to your readers that you’ll look over and edit it before releasing it. Write, reread, proofread, edit, get a second opinion from someone you trust, and then rinse and repeat. If you really want to make a bang with your articles, consider trying other helpful tips to improve your writing. Set a schedule, create outlines and rough drafts, and more. Don’t waste a good idea on a poor quality post, especially when that idea could be a big winner. Steal the spotlight and make an impact with your writing. With your new post, take the quality up a notch and leave your readers pleasantly surprised.

To read how you can fully write that killer post, check out an article I wrote in the past, 8 Ways to Write a High Quality Post, which contains ideas for preparing, researching, writing, and more.

Good luck with writing that excellent post, let us know how it goes, and if you need any help feel free to ask. The comments are open, so go ahead and share your experiences with proofreading and writing well, and if you’ve ever unsubscribed or stopped visiting a blog because of the writer’s poor English and spelling mistakes, let us know how you felt.

Creative Commons License photo credit: *madalena-pestana*

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

Comments

9 Responses to “The Importance of Proofreading and Writing Well”

1. Tom - StandOutBlogger.com on May 27th, 2008 6:58 am

Proofreading is something i continually fail at. I get all excited write my post and don’t feel like reading over it again. But then I read it after it’s posted and see all the errors!

Tom – StandOutBlogger.com’s last blog post..How Do You Monetize Your New Blogs?

2. OldSailor on May 27th, 2008 8:38 am

I agree. Before publishing proofreading is must. Even small mistakes irritate the readers. But so far I have not come across any blog with such mistakes and I have not unsubscribed any blog.

OldSailor’s last blog post..View Live Piracy Map of 2008 from International Maritime Bureau

3. Mark Sierra at MeAndMyDrum.com on May 27th, 2008 9:11 pm

I are so thankfull not to have to to worry about proofreading my stuf. I can just tipe away and get so much dun. One of thes days I will be a a-list bogger!

LOL

But seriously folks, you speak the truth, Tay. I cringe when I read something that disrupts the flow of my reading. Every once in a while it’s all right because mistakes do happen — and I know I have, too.

Mark Sierra at MeAndMyDrum.com’s last blog post..How To Win The Secret Classroom DVD Box Set

4. Koka on May 27th, 2008 9:19 pm

I have fallen victim to being to hasty in publishing posts only to read it over and see “there” instead of “their” and other misspellings. Stressing proofreading can not be made enough for a serious blogger. Having a post with bad grammar or misspellings makes you look ignorant and lazy. As I said, I have been guilty of this but there is no excuse.

Koka’s last blog post..25 tips for viral marketing posts:

5. Greg from Make Money Online on May 30th, 2008 2:10 am

I am the worst in the world at typos and run ons. My wife is constantly calling me and telling me to correct websites from my mistakes. I did rank well for some typos till I fixed the error.

6. diy help on May 30th, 2008 7:51 am

This article is informative, great job. I do check my post b4 I hit the publish button and sometimes it takes me arounf 30mins to reread cos I had a lot to edit and then finally I publish my post then I’ll feel relief, cos honestly, its tiring but i enjoy it ^_^

7. brad on May 30th, 2008 9:23 pm

Absolutely spot on. i don’t think I can even count the number of times I have started reading a blog, and after the first paragraph thought to myself “you have got to be kidding me”. I don’t think I am the only one either. It’s sloppy, and somewhat disrespectful to the readers.

How can anyone take a blogger seriously if he or she doesn’t even care enough to write properly. Isn’t that what twitter and facebook are for?

8. brad on May 30th, 2008 9:27 pm

So my last comment is clear, I am referring of course to writing that is filled with errors, or repeats the same ones over and over again (then/than, I/me, saw/seen, etc). Occasional mistakes happen, and are no big deal. Sometimes with just the right mistake, in just the right spot, they can even be pretty funny.

9. Tay on June 7th, 2008 1:58 am

I completely agree with you all of you – occasional mistakes do happen and are no big deal, but constantly seeing the same ones over and over, or having a post filled to the brim with errors, or one that was obviously never proofread at all, shows that the blogger is too lazy to care for his or her readers. If you want to get anywhere, you have to write with an air of professionalism. Even if you’re not a great writer, looking over an article once or twice can fix many mistakes!

And thanks Mark for the excellent example, LOL. Sadly, that’s exactly how some people are!

Got something to say?